Sunday, August 17, 2008

I love sports

Today is a fantastic day to be a sports fan.  To be honest, really ANY day is a great day to be a sports fan.  But something about today really hits home.  Ever since I can remember, I have loved sports.  My top sport is, of course, football.  Being from Wisconsin and so close to Green Bay, it isn't hard to believe that I was brought up a diehard Packer fan and have known nothing but Packers since day one.  I love them during the winning times (most of the time I have been alive) and I love them during the losing times - with or without "The Legend".  But this isn't just about the Pack.  Despite them playing a preseason game today (which they did pretty shitty in anyway), I was more focused on the Olympics and the Brewers!

Now I have been following all this stuff with Michael Phelps since he got to Beijing.  The guy is a freakin' phenom in the pool.  It is unreal what he can do - but I never thought he could win EIGHT freakin' golds.  But yet, at around 10:05 tonight, Lesak finishes the 4x100 and gets the gold for the US - completing the sweep.  8 for 8, 7 world records, all in one games.  How nuts is that!?  This will be a record never matched again - and if Phelps isn't named Sportsman of the Year, I will boycott SI :)

And then I flip to the Brewers.  Losers of 2 straight, looking a little lax tonight, not sure how they might fair.  They are down 2 - 3 when I flip it on.  Bottom of the 7th.  First out is a nice ball hit into a center with a great diving catch by Cameron.  Next batter up - first pitch - hits a deep fly to left.  Kapler (in for the injured Braun) runs after it, but it is well hit.  But he keeps running, and leaps and CATCHES IT over the left field wall!  He lands in like the third row and comes back in, ball in tow.  Easily one of the best catches I have probably ever seen.  I obviously keep the game on - Hardy hits a 2-run homer in the 8th to take the lead, the Dodgers tie it in the 9th, but Torres is able to strand the bases loaded, and then Hardy hits an RBI single in the 10th.  Riske strikes out Manny Ramierez in the bottom of the inning to end it and the Crew wins.

It seems trivial, especially to those not in Wisconsin, but man - I love sports.  You throw just about any sport at me and I will watch it with full attention - especially when something amazing is about to happen.

PS - Rodgers, I am fully behind you. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home